Welcome to Part 2 of my “I don’t have a book review for this week freak out” posts!
This week: Kroocked Cingdom. (Ha. You see what I did there? I’m hilarious.)
As was the case last time: this review was written 8 months ago. (I wrote things for myself long before actually making a blog because I like remembering what I thought of books…and also screech at my friends like a pterodactyl about what I just read…they didn’t enjoy it much. Now I just screech at you. We screech TOGETHER!)
Rating : 4,6/5
Should I do a blurb for this?? I mean it’s a sequel so I am assuming you read the first book. In case you didn’t my blurb is : go read that then you can read this one and flail over it with me.
In case you need even more convincing : SIX OF CROWS IS GREAT IT HAS MAGIC AND THIVES AND CUTE CHARACTERS THAT DO BAD THINGS THAT YOU CAN’T HELP FALLING IN LOVE WITH. I also have a waffly review for it HERE.
(Spoilers ahead for the first book, you smol swob)
Now for the noodles that read the first one – welcome to the dark side, it’s nice this time of year isn’t it.
Do not worry little ducklings : if you have read only the first book but are a curious beast and still want to know MY thoughts on it (aww thanks i apreciate it) or maybe you are just a cynical sock that doesn’t have faith in sequels and therefore is nervous to read this, I got you : this is spoiler free until further warnings (you’re welcome).
So, the monstrous questions: did I like this more than the first book ?
And my answer to that vital question is:
I don’t know. I don’t think I did though?? It took me a while to get into this one. Until Inej was freed I was pretty underwhelmed but after that I started to really get into it. AND THE ENDING WAS THE BEST THING EVER I LOVED IT, IT WAS AMAZING AND PRECIOUS AND OH MY – but more on that later.
Characters (cause they still play the biggest part and I am still completely in love with them-what else is new):
- Kaz : Still villainous and smart and sarcastic as always. We kind of get to see more of his kinder ,“better”, side in this but we also get a lot more of Dirtyhands in all his dark glory. He said it himself: he is no hero, but in this one it felt more like a “I may be on the side of the angels but don’t for one second think that I am one of them” kind of situation ( yess Sherlock reference ).
- Inej : She was gone in the begging but then we get her back and she kicks major butt. She really starts embracing the sins she has committed, coming to terms and making pace with her choices and I loved that development a whole lot. Also her friendship with Nina was the best female friendship i had ever seen in YA ( they were #girlfriends and it gave me life tbh)
- Nina : Her and Matthias got most of the spotlight in the last book BUT SHE WAS STILL ONE OF MY FAVES. Queen Nina all the way man I loved her so incredibly much. Her struggle with fighting addiction was heartbreaking but I am glad it was addressed and not a big “yeah well she is special so she survives” type of thing. Also still going strong with the food #bless (my friend read this scenes and she nodded approvingly so it is official that Nina is all of us if we were on deathly quest).
”And you should not cross me when it comes to sweets”
Jasper nodded. “She’s like a dessert hoarding dragon.”
(Nina will forever be one of my favourite characters. I am completely and absolutely IN LOVE with her and her cookies. GIVE MY DAUGHTER SOME WAFFLES OK!! She deserves all of them!)
- Matthias : OK he gets the cake for the biggest development because DAMN. He grew so much here. His relationship with Nina was *still* hilarious but this time without all the fighting -especially since we get the iconic ugly knitwear kink. I felt protective mother vibes from him for the whole group it was cute. Though I had some *small* issues but I am saving that for the spoiler talk.
- Jasper : Yesss we got more of Jasper. We got to meet the famous Dad and confront gambling addictions and more backstory about his mother. And Jasper was so GODAMN FUNNY.
- Wylan : Leigh said we will get more Wylan…Leigh did not disappoint (again does she ever??). He went from my least favorite to like the middle (we still have a Kaz in this book so let’s be realistic ok). The backstory, the interactions, the way he blUSHED every goddamn time Jasper flirted with him I JUST COULD NOT OH MY SO CUTE. Now I feel the need to go make the Wylan Protection Squad shirt and start a fan club because this baby needs rest and a nice long vacation
- Kuwei : oh yeah he was there….I didn’t like him….they should have killed him…would have saved us a lot of time tbh
We get so much more character development in this book – each character getting a complete and satisfying ending to their arcs and I am left to grief over the fact that this is over and i don’t get to see them again (just give me MORE of their stupid faces pls).
I should be a decent reviewer and talk about the plot a bit so here goes :
It felt more like they were saving the world type in this book rather than the “yup we want the money we don’t care about other stuff” in the first one. Still enjoyable tho. It was smart and the stakes were higher and it even had a really epic feel near the end (I am really bad at reviewing plot can you tell). Also so much fun. I laughed out loud a couple of times while reading this and now my parents think I’m loony.
There are a lot more cameos for the grisha trilogy fans but since I still haven’t read them it yet didn’t really impress me. But hey they didn’t take AWAY from the actual plot.
OK so I will be heading towards spoiler territory you have been warned
The ships (the whole flippin NAVY more like) :
– Kaz and Inej : THIS (!!!) WAS (!!!!) THE (!) MOST (!!!) PERFECT (!!) WAY (!!) THEY COULD HAVE BEEN HANDLED (!!!!!) ! IS THIS REAL LIFE EVEN. I am INCREDIBLY happy with how the mental illness aspect was addressed and how they didn’t just get over the traumatic events in their lives. We didn’t even get a proper kiss yet SOMEHOW (because Leigh is briliant that is how) it was even more intimate and powerful. Inej admitting that she still has problems with touch after being raped and Kaz’s flashbacks that don’t just go away because a girl is hot- he is still trying his hardest to get better- it was incredible and very touching. The way Inej doesn’t give up on him and still believes in his power to fix himself was the best way to go about this and I loved them so wonderfully much.
(I STILL STAND BY MY COMPLETE AND ABSOLUTE LOVE FOR KAZ AND INEJ!! They are still one of my absolute favourite couples and friendships ever!)
– Jasper and Wylan : Their moments were the cutest honestly. The fluffy ship. Can you guys believe that the guy couple (TM) got the happiest ending? In a time where it’s quite popular to ill them off: I can’t either -but then again everything else was incredible so thank you Queen Leigh for delivering the LGBT+ positive represantation.
– Nina and Matthias : Since they spent the last book being annoying thickheads and arguing in this one they were good to cuddle. And cuddle they did. Matthias was so supportive of Nina and when he started believing that her power was beautiful it was so amazing (of couse we already knew Nina was fabulous so it was about time he figured it out).
OK SO MATTHIAS DIES. And i didn’t like it ??? He died outside of the main heist. Like he was literally killed AFTER it was over. I get that it showed how they weren’t invincible and all that stuff so that made me make my peace with it ( I was a disappointed dragon for a bit) but I would have preferred it happened DURING the action. And then it switched povs immediately and it kind of threw me off ?? Like i didn’t feel it as powerful as it could have been ?? ( also i think it HAD to happen because Nina saved him from that bullet in the last book so it was pretty fair payback)
END OF SPOILERS!!
OVERALL : my skeptical heart was monstrously pleased with this and the lesson we have all learned is: “never doubt Leigh Bardugo or her capacity to write delicious sequels ever again”.
Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn’t think they’d survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they’re right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and left crippled by the kidnapping of a valuable team member, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known as jurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz’s cunning and test the team’s fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city’s dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of magic in the Grisha world.
What about YOU ?? What did you think about this one?? Do you often LOVE sequels?? And do YOU think I should go on and read The Grisha Trilogy already??
LET ME KNOW.
As you’re reading this I’m probably in Spain for my birthday, eating lots of cake. Also petting my uncle’s 13 dogs before I leave. I’ll try my best to respond to all your comments <3!! Another travel post is coming soon-ish!! ~Have a great weekend.